Who is Naeem Malik?
Well, he is called Canva Tutor over Instagram. He is sharing each and every single update and new tutorials regarding canva.
Basically, Naeem belongs to the hometown of Priyanka Chopra i.e. Bareilly. He is a graduate of Biomedical Sciences and believes in making people smile. He is always ready with any kind of help regarding Canva.
He teaches canva 1-1. He has Expertise in Content Creation, Instagram, and Brand Growth. He also teaches canva to beginners. In this interview, you will learn a lot about canva and will get Canva free templates and FREE canva tutorials for beginners.
You will also get some editable free canva templates you can use for yourself. So, let’s get started…
Interview With 1:1 Online Canva Tutor Naeem Malik
Me: Tell me something about your journey?
Naeem: First of all thanks for this wonderful opportunity to introduce myself in front of your amazing audience. So, I am Naeem Malik from a small town called Mirganj located in district Bareilly in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
I have done my graduation from the University of Delhi in Biomedical Sciences. I have also acquired a diploma in Elementary Education. At this time I am teaching at home for classes 7 to 12th.
I have always been enthusiastic about learning new skills so I have lots of hobbies like playing badminton, cricket, volleyball, and carrom. I also love to do photography sometimes.
My journey on Instagram started when the lockdown was implemented in India. And after some time as we all know people started migrating from one state to another state.
At that time we used to see people migrating without food with no proper medications and some other problems as well. I and my friends decided to help these people and make a group named Donate Your Movie Tickets. And we used to ask people to donate a sum of money equal to your movie ticket. And after that, we used to feed people.
So, now here comes my role. I have been using Canva for the last two years and I used to design graphics to show people that our team is doing such noble work and you can also help us.
I started posting my leanings over Instagram i.e. @thenaeemmalik and after some time I got interested in canva and solely posting about Canva’s features and new updates.
Me: How you started with Canva, what are the major challenges you have faced in the beginning?
Naeem: Major challenges I faced are as follows:
- How to use edit text and change fonts
- How to set margins, use rulers
- How to download your designs in different fonts
- How to make designs like a pro
- How to find out relevant images and illustrations
- What are different sizes to create my designs
- How to make the best uses of shapes
- How to create a design in less time
- What are canva shortcuts to be productive while designing
PRO tips for the Canva content creators
Me: What are your PRO tips for the content creators using Canva?
Naeem: Following should be my pro tips for those who are using canva to create their content.
A . Very important – understand sizes for different platforms and try to understand if you have to leave some margin to look your design better in feed or all the designs are all together (as in Instagram feed). Use guides and rulers option to create better and professional designs
B. Try to click over each and every tab or say features you see to better understand canva. Keep a close eye over what is happening to the user interface when you are selecting and deselecting some elements or you are pressing right click you will find some hidden features in this way
If you above image is selected and the right-click is open – then you are able to see that a lot of options are appearing there and sometimes people just ignore the last one and then they worry about how to detach their image from the frame. I have got a lot of queries for this even.
The same is here if you select the picture lots of option like Effects, Filter, Adjust, Crop, Flip, and info button appear but most of the people do not use a filter, adjust and info button then send requests to me for questions like that which can be solved using these 6 options which I mentioned.
C. Do not use too many fonts (use style from canva to understand font pairing or use canva font combinations.
D. Keep your style consistent (Always align your text to the left side)
E. Always use such colors for your foreground and background which is creating enough contrast and are eye-pleasing. Use canva 100 color combinations.
F. Use gradients sometimes
Secret Features of Canva You Should Try Yourself
Me: What are the hidden features of Canva, people should try?
There are a lot of hidden canva features or say not many people know how to use them these are actually less used features so we can call those hidden features.
Styles – there are very fewer people who have clicked to more folders on the canva left navigation bar. So people always miss the style button (which tells about color and font combinations in a lot much easier way).
Apps integration – integrating different apps will let you add photos and videos from those websites and you can directly add photos and video from there without exiting canva.
Copy style – I do not know why people do not use this tool it is as same a paintbrush situated in the toolbar. This tool will help you to copy the styles and settings from texts and applies them to any other text. This makes formatting very easy.
Lock – Lock feature is used especially when you’re designing with your mobile phone and different sections keep overlapping and getting distorted. Also, it can be used with a web version when you are having lots of elements altogether and you do not want to disturb some other layers or otherwise it will take more time.
Position – This tool is one of my favorites it will let you set your image according to page specifications. Not many people use it but yes it will let you set your elements (selection) accurately according to different positions (top, bottom, etc) as shown in the picture below.
Adding link for external websites or URL Adding music to your background.
Using multiple fonts altogether with the help of a group feature available. Group feature lets you select and combine different elements and selections altogether and you will be moving all selected elements with one mouse also it will help you to not again set your elements when you want to move your elements.
Compress files and export to different sources.
Direct publishing to the most used more than 34 social media platforms.
Manage your photos and illustration and designs in folders so that you do not worry when you have to find those in less time.
List of some companies using canva
Me: Which companies you have seen using Canva successfully? Could you please name a few? And what you find interesting about their content?
Naeem: Though there a lot many companies which are using canva to simplify their visual but I am giving you a list of 10 brands which are successfully implementing it. Here are some:
- Brand 1 – Brit + Co (@britandco
- Brand 2 – Onnit (@onnit)
- Brand 3- PRIVACY PLEASE (@privacypls)
- Brand 4 – Bulletproof® (@bulletproof)
- Brand 5 – Sephora (@sephora)
People who are doing their best with canva graphics over instagram
10 Canva alternatives
Me: What are the other alternatives of Canva but why you prefer Canva?
Naeem: 1. Snappa 2. Stencil 3. Venngage 4. PicMonkey 5. Piktochart 6. Fotor 7. Easil 8. Relay that 9. Pixlr 10. Crello
Reasons you Should be Using Canva
I prefer canva because:
- Thousands of prebuilt templates to work on
- They are updating canva each week
- They are adding templates for the remaining categories
- They are updating their customers with their best possible efforts
- They are adding hundreds of images and videos each week
- You do not have to rush for other websites to find accurate sizes for different social media platforms
- You can find out ideal colors and fonts from Canva’s website itself no need to search
- You can work in real time with teams
- You can set your brand kit (your brand colors and your fonts)
- You can share your designs as to view, edit and as templates
- Canva allows you to export your designs in almost every possible format be it PNG, JPG, PDF, SVG, POWERPOINT
- They are providing thousands of free elements and photos
- You can learn graphics designing for free from canva school
- You can plan your content for a month with canva pro also you can publish it to different platforms except Instagram
- They start working as soon as they get some demand from users
- They have their own design school
- They collaborate for some noble work too like for education in countries of South Africa
- Encryption – We keep designs secure in transit and at rest. In transit, designs are only accessible via TLS/SSL, and at rest, designs are encrypted with AES256.
- They inform users to change their passwords or they will do by themselves after some specific period of time
- You can manage your design in folders and publish directly to dropbox, onedrive, google drive
- They daily updates about canva’s working status and also keep updating over twitter
- It is cheap than some other platforms in comparison to features they are providing
So, I love canva.
Editable Canva free templates
Me: Share some free templates people can use with their links.
Yeah for sure, I would feel delighted to be able to some sort of help in this
regard. But make sure, before you use these templates do not forget to make a copy otherwise my original templates will not remain intact. Here is the link for your 5 free canva templates:
Me: How should people connect with you?
Naeem: People can connect with me via these social platforms:
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/thenaeemmalik/
- Telegram – https://t.me/thenaeemmalik
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/thenaeemmalik/
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/thenaeemmalik
- Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/thenaeemmalik/
Me: How people can learn Canva? (Any free resources/ What training do you offer? mention any link if you have)
Well, I think people can learn only when they have a desire to learn and if
they believe in the process and in time. Well, the best thing to learn anything is to do lots of practice. Also trying more and more.
Yes, there are free resources over youtube you can find out by simply searching Canva tutorials for beginners.
I have provided two tutorials hereunder
Besides this, I run 1 on 1 Canva class for those who are new to canva and struggling with designs as well as create content for busy entrepreneurs.
Well first of all let me inform you somewhat about my classes.
- My classes aren’t time-bound as different people have different learning curves so I keep them as they don’t lag anywhere around.
- My Canva Class is like all one solution to get started on Instagram finding your brand and use proven techniques to grow over it. So you’re gonna learn about branding (practical I included), IG growth, and Canva.
- Learning Canva includes font combinations, color combinations, and designing carousel and Instagram grid
- 5 free templates for carousels and puzzle feed to get started designing on Canva.
- My curated and saved posts (which I have curated along the time of six months) and also PDFs from big creators. As I am following big creators and try to learn each and every single thing from them so I have some great PDFs for you to start with.
These following tips make me feel great every single time:
- Practice makes a man perfect
- Learning continues throughout life
- Pain is the process (this may be a failure, mistake, muscle pain in the gym to get a good physique)
- You have only life and you can only impact people in this life only
- Life sometimes sucks, the more you think about it more it sucks so just get habitual of it.
Send me your challenges designing with canva to thenaeemmalik[at]gmail[dot]com